Tuesday 25 September 2007

GFN + DDR

Yay, I got up at like 4:00 AM to do my assignment. Or more like 4:30 since I didn't actually get up until half hour later. Chris was online and like PMed me on the MCAC forums asking what I was doing up so late. More like up so early, lol.

Worked on assignment until GFN meeting at 10 AM. At 9:45 AM Mitze suddenly phoned me, I thought I was late or something. So I went ahead and I thought I was late cause like... other Halls people (Amanda, Sharon and Jonathan) were nowhere in sight. Turns out I was early. Really early. Meeting didn't really start until 10:30.

The meeting was pretty interesting. We did some cross-uncross activity that emphasized the importance of body language. Had a game where we seperated into different segregated groups (first off, male - female, then glasses - contacts - no glasses then nationality). Where we discussed the problems in communication and friendship that may occur due to these different groupings (like how we tack on stereotypes and generalizations almost instantly). And stuff like nationality, well how minority groups may feel left out. I liked the point made out in this part the most. Most of the volunteers are Malaysians (almost everyone is Malaysian, with one Bruneian, me, 2 Mauritanians, a few Chinese, few Singaporeans and one Sri Lankian and Bangladeshis. Although I have no problem hanging with Malaysians since Bruneians are hardly any different from them at all (we aren't really, except for some minor differences like what kind of celebrations we have, I know Malaysia for example takes pride in celebrating their Independance day, while Brunei has like a huge celebration for the Sultan's bday and stuff). But yeah, as a constant minority you can, and I have, felt incredibly lonely.

I'm glad GFN went ahead to address this problem. This problem of exclusion and how to avoid it, like how people start talking in their own language. This immediately excludes everyone else around you. Mind you, I've already accepted how a lot of people do that to me (talk in their own language), I spent most of MUFY bearing this problem. But I guess MUFY was all I could take, language problems have caused such a huge wound in my heart I don't think I can function right anymore around people who don't speak English....

We then did this activity where you answer some choice questions then use it to assess your personality. Like whether you are aggressive (competitive), passive, compromiser, collaborator. I scored the most in compromiser. Passive and competitive are generally seen negative, since passive = doormat basically while competitive you can lose a lot of friends only thinking for yourself. Collaborator is the best but difficult to reach such a stage. Compromiser has a bit of everything (which fits me, I'm competitive, I wanna win all the time and I think of myself a lot yet I'm also passive occasionally).

Then free pizza lunch! We hung around taking photos and stuff too. I was waiting for the time to reach 1:45 AM as I was to meet Alex and Aaron outside the Education building since Alex was driving us to Bernie's house for a MCAC DDR party! Nat was supposed to be driven but she went by bus with Owen in the end. Amanda decided not to come to DDR.

So yeah, met Alex and Aaron. We went there, Bernie wasn't even home. Met her brother Gabby, which turned out to be one of Aaron's classmates (lol, odd revelation... what, my classmate is a fellow club member's brother?). Then Bernie came. DDR was a lot of fun! I totally sucked at it, but I picked it up fast and got better since I guess I have played it before a long time ago in Brunei. And we do have a DDR mat at home. But I still sucked. People like Natalie, Drue and Nazri had never played DDR in their lives and did pretty good (and got better a lot faster). Bernie and Chris were like pros, Bernie especially. They said they would go to GFN next week just to play the DDR there. (Hopefully Drue and maybe Owen will come to? I mean GFN is always going on about needing more white Australians...)

We had 4 mats, 2 outside which were Bernie's and 2 Chris brought along in Bernie's room. Chris's was pretty cool, he had anime songs on them! I've never seen them before, it was cool. But they were really hard and dancing in Bernie's room was impossible with the carpet. The mat kept sliding, so everyone was bad on it. So yeah, generally stuck to the outside one.

DDR we had me, Bernie 2 (female Bernie, the host), Bernie 1 (the tech guy), Alex, Aaron, Chris, Owen, Drue, Natalie, Vu, Raine and Nazri over. Vu, Raine and Nazri left pretty fast. Vu left first (well Bernie 1 didn't come until past 5). Then Raine and Nazri left at 5-ish. Then Owen and Natalie left before dinner. So we had PIZZA dinner again, that is the two Bernies, me, Alex and Drue. The pizza was really good though. It was huge!

Bernie 1 brought over his Wii, so we ended up playing Wii sports first. During boxing, LOL! It was funny. I pwned Natalie extremely fast, scaring everyone off (OMG Celine is aggressive @_____@). Then I KO-ed Bernie 2. Then I KO-ed Bernie 1. Then Chris came along and defeated me in the third round. Then we played Mario Party! It's a four player game so me, Drue, Chris and Alex played that. Uhh.. it was pretty fun. I was losing for a good part of the game, but in the end I won, lol. Out of sheer luck. Then they played this Mario soccer game and then some killing game. But I was asleep or more like I closed my eyes on Bernie's couch for the duration of that.

At 10 AM, Alex drove me home because I wanted to sleep.

Yay, sleep time, will get up at 4 AM tomorrow to finish my assignment. I have until 5 PM tomorrow, heh. I'll probably relax for the rest of tomorrow. V, Tsan and group I think are going to IMAX theatres, but I probably won't finish my assignment in time to join them.

No comments:

Post a Comment