Wednesday 21 January 2009

Rain, rain go away... to Australia preferably.

It keeps raining. It just KEEPS ON RAINING. It has been raining since my birthday (which was Jan 10 - today is the 21st, lol) every single little day. I wake up, it's raining. It starts raining in the afternoon every so once in a while. It rains every single night! Last night was a bad one. There was thunder and lightening, which I haven't seen in a while and I dunno, the flashing lights in my cold dark little rather empty room really scared me. Wish I wasn't alone in there. *sniffles* I know it's silly but I couldn't shake away the feeling even if I wanted to.

But that wasn't the bad part anyway. I woke up and went to Pusat Bahagia, the school the ISB year 8's were heading to for their field trip. This school is for disabled children, and I was surprised Brunei had a school like this. I was like... wow. A school where there are actually ramps for wheel chairs and multi-tiered handle bars literally in every part of the building. However, I was disappointed that the school was in really bad shape. Like really shape. And it's in an odd location with like... gates everywhere. No one could tell there was a school there. My mum told me that rumours had it that the school was a detention / rehab centre for drug addicts. Oh yay to Brunei. We can easily see what kind of attitude they have for the disabled (although I've no idea why they insist on barring the school with weird metalic gates).

Yesterday's rainstorm was rather chaotic. The huge roundabout in Kiulap area has this tunnel (like the only one in Brunei I can think of). I guess drainage is non-existent as it flooded right to the top of the tunnel apparently (although by the afternoon much of it went down - although the road was closed the entire time). Traffic was everywhere since people had to get around and take detours. There were a million landslides all over the place, no electricity in the Gadong area (ISB and Pusat Bahagia both had no electricity). One half of the secondary school at ISB was flooded (the Art, DT workshop, Geo, History and Math rooms) so they shut the school down by 10:30 (and wanted EVERYONE out of the school by 1 PM). During the trip I went back to ISB for a short while to print pictures with Mr. Green, until I realised there was no electricity (and Mr. Green's class he went back to teach was cancelled).

Anyway, onto Pusat Bahagia. Uhh... I got there, no teachers. The year 8's were playing rather dangerously on the swings. I couldn't decide whether to tell them to get off or not, since if they broke anything, ISB and the teachers would be in for it. Anyway, there were 3 main activities as there were also 3 classes. Teachers there were Mr. Green, Mrs. C, Ms. Natalia and Mr. Grieves. And yeah, system was that the classes roated around these activities. We had tree-planting, painting the corridors and running activities with certain students at Pusat Bahagia. I sort of jumped in between, did nothing most of the time, take photos, supervise them, helped paint and pass messages and stuff. And had to tick off names a lot. I got yelled at during one point in time where I was in charge of superivisng the painters for a while, but then Ms. Natalia in the other group was calling for me (without knowing I had other things to do) and I left the group and well... Mr. Green was not happy. I have not been sort of 'yelled' at for a long long time (since that does not happen in uni anymore). I still dislike the feeling of being scolded. It scares me. Although it was restricted and after that I was in Mr. Green's car and we chatted a bit - he was nice so that was good. Since yeah... they can't reallly scold me much as I'm not a student and I'm... sort of old now (and if I become a teacher I should be an equal). But I do must learn responsibility better. And to have authority. I talked to quite a number of students today but I was talking to them like how I would talk to my friends, lol.

Back at ISB... well Mrs. C wasn't around so I was suddenly vulnerable when I was left there. But Mai, Freda and Ms. Wong were ever so kind to me. So that was nice. Hehe. On our way back from ISB, Mr. Green told me that it was illegal for disabled students in Brunei to walk around in the public (so that's why we don't see them often) without certain permission. I didn't know this, and I was really shocked. Can you imagine a parent being told it is illegal for your child to go outside? What kind of law is this? It was good to watch the year 8's try hard to work with the students of Pusat Bahagia. Although a number of them were constantly complaining about how bored they were, that irritated me to bits. Should be happy to get out of class, I would be more bored sitting about doing calculus all day. I should be more bored then they are, I just wandered around literally doing nothing for most of the time. Although I have a 7 year head start in terms of age to develop something known as patience so can't blame em' I guess.

2 comments:

miracle said...

Wow... o.o this is a very interesting post. I never knew that. Well it seems like a tough job but surely that's a wonderful experience. =D Ganbatte~ Oh yeah, Melbourne needs the rain... lol It sounds terrible. West Malaysia is still okay for now. Not much rain yet.

oink said...

aww interesting post. hehe sorry i need to be directed to ur blog (but i do have exams and i blog to destress without reading blogs lol). that's a shocking law. i'm gobsmacked to hear that, maybe not from certain countries, but i didn't realise that was the bruneian attitude!

Post a Comment